Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Prunus Mahaleb progress

This Prunus Mahaleb is a yamadori which was collected in 2012. The unusual and quite different shape with lost of natural scars and deadwood catched my attention so it became a part of my private collection.

Prunsu Mahaleb yamadori after collection - 2012-03

In spring of 2013 I started to work on the tree. At the first styling only the primary branch ware selected, put into position and the basic styling of the deadwood was done. 

Prunus Mahaleb after the first styling - 2013-03

The trunk and primary branches ware out of proportion, so I left the tree in the big plastic container, feed the tree aggressive with different types of fertilizer and let the branches grow freely. The goal was to make the branches stronger, thicker and via that an more mature look and feel.

Prunus Mahaleb - 2013-05

The tree has grown very well true the season and last weekend I made the second step.

Prunsu Mahaleb - 2013-11

One of the results of the aggressive feeding regime was lots of back buding so I used this and cut back strongly to two buds and revired the tree again. The goal at the moment is still the same, the development of primary and some secondary branches. The current look of the tree reminds of an conifer design but after the next levels of branch development will be done this will change. My plan is to develop the next level of more thinner branches in the typical growth pattern for deciduous trees which should completely change the look and feel for this.

Prunus Mahaleb after second styling - 2013-11

The primary branches are almost strong enough so the proportions are getting right, except of the upper part of the trunk which still needs to get much, much stronger. Now I will focus on getting only the upper part of the trunk stronger, thicker and on the development of the branch structure (secondary level, third level,...)

Prunus Mahaleb - deadwood

Part of the deadwood before the styling

Part of the deadwood after the styling

Prunus Mahaleb - closer look

Prunus Mahaleb - natural deadwood

The tree is of course in the very early stage of development but its starting to shape and I think it is becoming more and more promising.

Prunus Mahaleb - progress 2012-03 - 2013-11

Sunday, November 17, 2013

SBK Workshop "Autumn Leaves"

A group of members of the Slovenian bonsai club from the Primorska region organized a very nice club workshop and a small club exhibition. The atmosphere was very good, we worked, we exchanged knowledge and experience, we had fun and most of all enjoyed the trees and great company.

Pinus Sylvestris - Tomaž Kovšca

Querkus - David Gregorič

We worked on Junipers, different Prunus Mahaleb, Taxus and Acer Campestre in very different development stages. 

I worked on my Prunus Mahaleb which was wired again and some deadwood at the left bottom part of the tree was styled for the first time.

Prunus Mahaleb - before the workshop

Prunus Mahaleb - after the workshop
The day passed in a blink of an eye and right before dusk we went back home with a happy smile on our faces.

Monday, November 4, 2013

European Hornbeam

This European Hornbeam (Carpinus Betulus)  is with me since spring 2010 when I collected it from nature.  

2013-11 - European Hornbeam

While looking back for the the last three and half years the tree developed surprisingly fast and I'm pleased with the current image of the tree. The last two images show from where we started our journey

2010-2 - Carpinus Betulus before collection

2010-3 - Carpinus Betulus starting material

The main goal of the development stages in the last three and half years was to develop the basic branch structure with the right branch proportions. After the main branches have thickened enough it is time to transplant the tree into a smaller pot so next spring the tree will be repoted in a pot nice from John Pitt. 

Pot made by John Pitt

After the tree will be repoted I will start work on the refinement of the branch structure and some additional improvements. If everything goes as planed the tree will be exhibition ready in a couple of years.